Mental Health and Illness
For Psychiatric Emergencies call 0800 920 092.
Community and Public Health provides population health services and information. We are unable to work with individuals regarding their health issues.
Mental illness is common, but can severely impact on people’s lives. The 2017/18 New Zealand Health Survey found that:
- One in six New Zealand adults had been diagnosed with a common mental disorder at some time in their lives. This includes depression, bipolar disorders and anxiety disorders.
- Nearly 9 percent of adults had experienced psychological distress in the past four weeks.
- Females are more likely to experience a common mental disorder than males, regardless of age.
- Māori and Pacific have higher rates of being diagnosed with mental disorders or experiencing psychological distress than the rest of the population. Mental health service use by Māori is rising.
- People living in the most socio-economically deprived areas were 2.5 times more likely to experience psychological distress as people living in the least deprived areas – after adjusting for age, sex and ethnicity.
- Around 650,000 adult New Zealanders (16.6 percent) have been diagnosed with depression at some stage in their lives.
People with a serious mental illness or addiction experience significantly worse physical health than the general population.
Contact your local CPH office for further information:
Ph: +64 3 364 1777
Fax: +64 3 379 6125
Ph: +64 3 687 2600
Fax: +64 3 688 6091
Ph: +64 3 768 1160
Fax: +64 3 768 1169
For additional information, contact:
Psychiatric Emergency Line
0800 920 092
0800 111 757
0800 543 354
0800 211 211
Suicide Crisis Helpline
0508 828 865
Wellbeing resources for workplaces
Mental wellbeing is one of the most valuable business assets. Workplaces that prioritise mental health have better engagement, reduced absenteeism and higher productivity, while employees have improved wellbeing, greater morale and higher job satisfaction.
Several resources are available to improve or address wellbeing in workplaces: