Love Kai: Feeding school wellbeing through values-led kai practices
Love Kai is a new programme developed by Community and Public Health to implement the nationwide Healthy Active Learning initiative with Canterbury education settings (primary to secondary).
Love Kai is driven by your school’s values and provides guidance and support to enhance school food and drink environment, policies and practices.
Kai is about more than nutrition, so Love Kai takes a holistic approach based on the Te Whare Tapa Whā model of health.
Love Kai schools’ policies and practices support hauora by:
- Taha Tinana – fuelling bodies and brains for growth and development;
- Taha Wairua – affirming identity, culture and values;
- Taha Whānau – strengthening community connections;
- Taha Hinengaro – equipping students to navigate the food and drink environment; and
- Whenua – connecting with and caring for our environment.
The Love Kai vision is for schools to be a fertile ground to grow healthy relationships with kai.
Contact the Love Kai Team for more information
Kara Seers or Sarah Macfarlane
Ph: +64 3 364 1777
Love Kai supports Edible Canterbury – gardening and orchards in schools.