Sit less this September at your workplace
Sitting for prolonged periods is bad for your health – no matter how fit you are. Nō reira e Tu Tātau! So let’s stand up for yourself!
A workplace that supports staff to sit less and move more can benefit from more productive staff, reduced absenteeism and increased staff engagement through improved health.
Plan ahead: let your employees know that you’ll be doing Sit Less September, starting on Monday 2nd September 2019. This will show staff know that your organisation supports Sit Less September for their health and wellbeing.
Moving a little helps a lot: Twelve top tips to reduce sitting time at work
- Take comfortable walking shoes to work;
- Have standing or walking meetings/hui;
- Eat your lunch away from your desk and go for a walk during your breaks;
- Do some computer and desk exercises;
- Switch between working seated and standing;
- Walk the long way to the tearoom, toilet, photocopier or meeting room;
- Stand up while on the phone, or walk around when on your cell phone;
- Walk to a co-worker’s desk instead of emailing or phoning;
- Stand at the side or back of the room during presentations;
- Park your car a little further away from work so that you get more opportunity to walk; and
- Consult your health and physical advisor about how to best to increase your physical activity, if you have impaired mobility or use a wheelchair.