Make summer unstoppable
This summer will be our first under COVID-19 conditions. It’s important we look after ourselves and our whānau over the festive season and summer holidays.
As New Zealanders we cherish our annual summer holidays. We all want an uninterrupted summer — uninterrupted by the weather and uninterrupted by COVID-19.
We cannot control the weather, but we can control COVID-19.
Here are four simple things we can all do to keep each other safe and make our summer unstoppable.
Scan QR codes
Scanning QR codes with the NZ COVID Tracer app keeps us 1 step ahead of the virus — the more we scan the safer we’ll be.
Scanning QR codes wherever you go is especially important when on holiday because you might not remember all the places you visit. Keep your phone handy to make scanning in quick and easy, especially when shops are crowded over Christmas and New Year.
Use whatever method works for you if you do not use the app, like the NZ COVID Tracer booklet.
Turn on Bluetooth tracing
Bluetooth tracing allows you to receive an alert if you’ve been near another app user who tests positive for COVID-19. Bluetooth tracing is great for large gatherings and events, like music festivals when you’re surrounded by people you do not know.
Bluetooth tracing does not replace the need to scan NZ COVID Tracer QR codes. You still need to scan QR codes to keep track of where you’ve been. Bluetooth tracing is an added tool — it helps keep track of the people we’ve been near.
When you turn on Bluetooth tracing, your privacy is always protected — it cannot share your location, your name or anything else about you.
Stay home if you’re sick
Do not travel or take part in activities if you’re unwell. It’s critical you stay at home and recover if you’re feeling unwell.
If you have cold, flu or COVID-19 symptoms while on you’re on holiday, do not wait until you get home. Call Healthline or your doctor or Nurse Practitioner to see about getting a test.
COVID-19 testing services will continue over the Christmas and New Year holiday period. If you’re away from home, you’ll still be able to access tests.
You’re helping keep the community safe by getting a test.
Wash your hands
Washing your hands is 1 of the easiest ways to keep yourself safe. Wash often. Use soap. 20 seconds. Then dry. This kills the virus by bursting its protective bubble.
Staying safe at summer events
Many of us will be travelling around New Zealand and going to big events this summer. Shops will be more crowded than usual, and we’ll be going to more social gatherings.
Here are some things you can do over our first summer under COVID-19 conditions:
- Have your phone ready to make scanning QR codes quick and easy.
- You could pack a summer essentials bag if you’re travelling, with hand sanitiser, face coverings, cleaning products and a booklet for contact tracing. You never know what facilities will be available at the places you’re visiting.
- Keep some hand sanitiser in your pocket or bag. It’s a convenient way to keep your hands clean when you’re out and about.
- Shops and events can be very crowded at this time of year, but try and keep your distance from people you do not know.
- If you’re hosting a gathering for friends and whānau: Create a QR code to help your guests keep track of where they’ve been.
- If you’re hosting a gathering: Consider holding your event outdoors. The more space people have, the harder it is for COVID-19 to spread if it is in the community.
Source: COVID-19.govt.nz.Published on Monday, December 14th, 2020, under Uncategorised