News & Events
Support cancer patients in your region this Dry July
Almost 2,000 New Zealanders are diagnosed with cancer each month. Dry July encourages people to give up alcohol for the month of July and raise funds for cancer patients and their families and carers.
Having a month off alcohol also has great health benefits, such as sleeping better, having more energy and of course, no hangovers! So you’re not only helping others, you’re helping yourself. It’s a win-win!
Funds raised through Dry July 2019 will go towards Look Good Feel Better – to help provide more free community-based programmes for anyone facing cancer in New Zealand, at any stage of their journey.
Look Good Feel Better classes support people with cancer to look and feel more like their normal selves, as the visible and emotional effects of their diagnosis and treatment can rob patients of their identity. Look Good Feel Better helps to bring a boost, a day away from treatment, an opportunity to connect, and learn techniques to help them feel more like their normal selves.
The classes include tips, tricks and techniques to help participants recognize the person in the mirror.
Top tips for going Dry this July
- Donate to yourself to show others you’re committed.
- Create a team with friends, family or work mates. Strength in numbers is key.
- Focus on the cause to keep you strong.
- Change your diet and increase your exercise routine to get the maximum benefit.
- Don’t be shy about your Dry July! Tell everyone you know you’ve signed up to Dry July. That way when you start to receive donations you have to commit and can’t back out.
- It’s ok to ask for support more than once. People can get busy or simply forget to donate, so don’t hesitate to follow up with people and remind them to make a donation. You could post updates throughout the month to explain why you’re taking part and that the donation is going to a great cause.
- Be the Designated Dryver to your mates… and get them to donate to your taxi service.
Source: Dry July NZ website.
Let’s start talking this Men’s Health Month
The theme for Men’s Health Month NZ is Men Start Talking.
When our mates seem down or in trouble, the easiest option is not to talk about it. We don’t know what to say, or think we might say the wrong thing.
Not talking kills hundreds of men every year, and stops a lot of men from being as healthy as they could be.
The Men’s Health Trust is encouraging men throughout New Zealand to start talking and to get along to the doctor for a check-up this June.
Start asking your mates how they are really doing. Don’t be worried about what they might say. You don’t need to offer advice – just listen. Share your experiences if you’ve been through something similar. Giving someone the opportunity to talk about what’s on their mind can lift a weight off their shoulders.
Men’s Health Month is a great opportunity to raise awareness of men’s health and share knowledge and inspirations to improve the health of men in New Zealand.
Source: Men’s Health Trust New Zealand website.