Support cancer patients in your region this Dry July
Almost 2,000 New Zealanders are diagnosed with cancer each month. Dry July encourages people to give up alcohol for the month of July to create a better life for people affected by cancer including families and carers.
Having a month off alcohol also has great health benefits, such as sleeping better, having more energy and of course, no hangovers! So you’re not only helping others, you’re helping yourself. It’s a win-win!
Dry July raises funds to help improve the comfort, care and wellbeing of New Zealanders affected by cancer. Funds in 2021 will support:
- Look Good Feel Better – providing workshops for those with appearance related side-effects of cancer;
- Prostate Cancer Foundation NZ – implementing the Prost-FITT program in multiple locations across NZ for men affected by prostate cancer;
- Bowel Cancer NZ – providing telephone support from a specialist bowel cancer nurse; and
- PINC & STEEL NZ – helping people affected by cancer through physical rehabilitation.
Top tips for going Dry this July
- Donate to yourself to show others you’re committed.
- Create a team with friends, family or work mates. Strength in numbers is key.
- Focus on the cause to keep you strong.
- Change your diet and increase your exercise routine to get the maximum benefit.
- Don’t be shy about your Dry July! Tell everyone you know you’ve signed up to Dry July. That way when you start to receive donations you have to commit and can’t back out.
- It’s ok to ask for support more than once. People can get busy or simply forget to donate, so don’t hesitate to follow up with people and remind them to make a donation. You could post updates throughout the month to explain why you’re taking part and that the donation is going to a great cause.
- Be the Designated Dryver to your mates… and get them to donate to your taxi service.
Source: Dry July NZ website.Published on Friday, June 4th, 2021, under Events