Digital Detox: Disconnect to reconnect
3.1 million New Zealanders spend 16 hours online every week, and 70 percent of us now own a mobile device, according to research company Nielsen.
New Zealanders can’t get enough of being online, but have we got the balance right? All Right? is encouraging people to think about how we’re using technology. How can we embrace it while not letting it take over every waking (and non waking) minute? How can we switch off and recharge?
Small breaks away from technology can have big benefits
Unplugging completely is unrealistic for most of us. Sometimes there are simply calls to take, texts to answer and moments we want to capture.
Being away from your screen allows us to slow down and focus on the things that matter most. Digital downtime frees us up to do whatever it is we’d like more time for, such as reading, walking, singing, dancing, getting outdoors, spending time with the whānau, or enjoying our favourite hobbies.
The benefits of unplugging are priceless – whether it’s less stress, more free time, closer relationships or just the chance to kick back and enjoy the moment.
Here are 5 tips to help you become screen savvy:
- Set some time aside each day that is screen-free.
- Wear a watch. One of the most common reasons to pick up your phone is to see the time… and it’s a fast spiral to cat videos from there!
- Turn off your notifications… less chirping means less checking!
- Switch your phone to flight mode. Turning off your transmission function means you can use your camera and enjoy your music in peace.
- Sleep easy! Use an old-school alarm and leave your phone in a different room when you go to bed. Light from screens stops production of the hormone melatonin, which is vital for getting to sleep.
Get involved in Canterbury’s Digital Detox on 2nd October
All Right? invites Cantabrians to join a citywide Digital Detox on Sunday 2nd October 2016 between 10am and 2pm.
It’s not about throwing our phones away or swearing off technology for good. It’s simply a chance to take a break, do something fun and find the balance that feels just right.
Get more information on the All Right? Digital Detox, including how to sign up.Uncategorised