Care around the clock continues over the summer
Remember that you can still get free health advice whenever you need it wherever your holidays take you around New Zealand.
You can call your own general practice team 24/7 for care around the clock – whether you’ve had a donk from your new pétanque set or the Christmas leftovers are turning your tummy.
Be sure to load your usual general practice number into your mobile phone before you head off on holiday. A team of registered nurses are ready to take your call when the doors are closed and the lights are out – any time of day or night, including public holidays.
Watch a video to meet some of the care around the clock nursing team and find out more about the service they provide.
Remember to take enough of your regular medications with you if you are heading away. If you need a repeat prescription – get it sorted before you leave town.
- Call or text 1737 any time if you’re feeling anxious or just need someone to talk – you can talk a trained counsellor for free.
- Call 111 in a life-threatening emergency.
Make your usual general practice team your first call for all other health care needs – whether you’re holidaying in Wanaka or Whangamata. They can tell you what to do and where to go if you need to be seen urgently.
Information for visitors to Christchurch
Visitors to Christchurch who need to see a doctor can visit one of the urgent care practices:
- The 24 Hour Surgery (401 Madras Street – near the corner with Bealey Avenue).
Phone (+64) 3 365 7777
- Moorhouse Medical (3 Pilgrim Place)
Phone (+64) 3 365 7900. Open 8am to 8pm daily.
- Riccarton Clinic (4 Yaldhurst Road)
Phone (+64) 343 3661. Open 8am to 8pm daily.
Get trusted health advice over the summer
Other good places for health advice are:
- HealthInfo Canterbury – a health information website with information specific to Canterbury. It is written and approved by local doctors, practice nurses, hospital clinicians, and other healthcare professionals; or
- your community pharmacy.
Source: Canterbury DHB media release (16th December 2019).Published on Wednesday, December 18th, 2019, under News